Thursday, July 31, 2008

Unexpected Perks

In a totally unexpected turn of events, I’ve been driving my grandmother’s car while she’s in extended care and rehabbing herself back to health. I'm getting used to it now, so it's not as scary as it was at first. I filled it up this morning for the second time and I cannot even tell you how much it makes my heart sing that it costs less than $50. My calculations say 31.6 mpg. Which is like TWICE what I get in the truck. Also, we were able to drop the Magnum off for some “get this done before the warranty expires” business to be taken care of.

But one of the best perks? Landon LOVES that car. He’s hell to pick up in the afternoon from Miss Linda’s. He doesn’t want to leave; he wants to just keep playing. This is totally understandable, because when he gets home, we strap him to the plow and make him earn his keep in the back 40.


Anyway, to get him to leave any place for the past few days a question as simple as “Do you want to get in Great Grandma’s car?” will send him running for the door. He’s so excited. (FYI, don't ask this question unless you are absolutely ready to walk out the door, because then you get the whiny - why aren't we leaving yet crap.) My guess is that he can see better in it than in the other cars. I’m not going to question it though, because it totally works – I just fear we might overuse it. Although, I have no idea how long I will be driving the car, so I’m soaking it up while I can.

2 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Sounds divine. I need a more fuel efficient car.

Marinka said...

Love the picture! And it sounds like you and grandma need to swap cars.

;)