Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Supermarket Sweep

I am a special brand of planning crazy. So try to remember that as I outline what I'm about to do here.

Just to be clear on what I'm doing here, when I said I wanted to try everything in the produce department, I didn't mean the prepackaged salad stuff or the tofu cheese that they happen to store there, I mean the vegetables and fruits.

I'm also not necessarily going to buy everything from Kroger, but I'm going to use Kroger as my basis. So if I buy bananas at HEB, they still count. If I was really brave, I might move on to HEB or Central Market when this is done, but as a jumping off point, I'm sticking to Kroger.

I have a list of culinary vegetables and fruits from the internet. I know that Kroger does not carry all of them, and I know that there are at least 4 different kinds of apples, and several kinds of pears, which are not well outlined on that list. But it's a starting point. I'm going to take that list to Kroger and check off what they have and add anything they don't have.

Then I'm going to find out the season for each thing, because I've been told a) produce is better tasting when bought in season, and b) it's cheaper. And also, some stuff just plain isn't there if it's not in season.

Then I'm going to start compiling recipes. I'm going to mark off the things I try as I try them, and put the recipe and review of it on the blog (and in a binder at home.) I'm going to need your help with this later on, once I have a list, because I know right off the bat that I have no idea how to cook brussel sprouts - and I'm sure there are more things out there I have no idea how to do. And if I'm going to try new things I need to have the absolute best recipe for them or I will likely never try them again.

What I need now, is a name for my experiment, so I can put a cover on my binder. So bring on your ideas. If I continue this into the cheese department and your name works for both, I will use it. If not, I'll have a new name for the next experiment.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any fun name suggestions for you, I am sadly lacking in the Title Creativity department. One needs only to look at my blog to see that.

I just wanted to say again how incredibly BRAVE you are for trying this. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

How about What the HELL am I eating now blog.

Your loving Husband

Anonymous said...

I'd call it "Steve".

...but I have a penchant for giving plans, ideas and inanimate objects people names.

Anonymous said...

I'm sensing that my husband may not be completely supportive of this little experiment.

"Steve" is great and all, but I've kind of alloted that name to the hedge in Over the Hedge.

"Steve! Ate! Vern!"

Mama said...

How About

Kristine's Krazy Kumquat Katastrophe?

Supermarket Supershowdown?

The Great Produce Production?

Battle Royale : Woods Vs Foods?

The Icanhasweerdfuds Experiment?

I could go on all day like this...it's sorta my thing :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet! Now these are the kind of names I'm looking for!

Mama said...

Three Woods and a Rutabaga?

How come none of this $%*^ tastes like chicken? (This is for husband)

On Beyond Bovine?

The Good, the Bad, the Celeraic?

Seriously. Can't. Stop.

Anonymous said...

I like On Beyond Bovine the best. It's fitting since we have/eat all that beef.