Monday, June 02, 2008

Geocaching

So, Mom pointed out that there's a state park within reasonable driving distance of their lake house and maybe there was something I could do with the girls there that would qualifiy for a "mystery activity." So I looked up the geocaches in that area and I found 3 in the state park and 3 at the historical site for which the park is named.



And because I know from experience that you don't always find the geocache the first time out, I recruited Clinton to help me "pre-find" the geocaches.



We went to the state park, which was beautiful. We parked, and everyone was ceremoniously sprayed with bug spray.




We set our sites on what I thought would be the easiest to find. And didn't find it. We found the coordinates, but no cache was to be found. It happens, sometimes the whole shebang is missing, and sometimes, it's just really well hidden. I should have looked at the pictures before we went. I now think I know where that thing was and we were pretty much right on top of it.



We kind of half ass looked for the second one, and never even came close to the coordinates. But we did have a nice walk and find a pier thingy to look out over the lake.




We drove to the historical site, and without getting out of the truck, I found that we would easily get at least one of those two and I have a general idea of one other. We didn't even bother with the first one, because it mentions barking dogs, and we had our two with us.




One lesson learned? Geocaching is much harder with a toddler and 2 dogs, even if you have an extra adult person. Geocaching as a family may have to wait another year or so until Landon can better understand that we're not out there just to whine in the woods.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Wife totally does not understand geocaching. I've tried explaining it, but no dice.

I hadn't thought about it before, but The Boy would probably really enjoy it and it looks like there's a ton of geocaches in our area. If I can shake some money out of The Wife, we might buy a gps unit and do some looking around this summer.

Anonymous said...

I like to call it easter egg hunting for grown-ups.

Anonymous said...

Where's the Chocolate!

Kelly

Aunt Becky said...

That sounds awesome. I'm sort of jealous now.

Anonymous said...

Well, I clicked on the comments to say that I REALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND GEOCACHING. LIKE, AT ALL. Then I see that my dear husband has taken care of that for me. But it is true.