Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Third Time's The Charm

I hope.

So I definitely feel better about the test this time. I changed my study policy (procedure? plan? approach? yeah it's approach.) I actually reviewed everything in the breadth section and as much as I could for the depth section.

Although, as always as the test date appraoches, I start freaking out a little bit about what I don't know.

The change in the test (addition of the construction section, reduction of environmental and water resources) means they will probably take longer to grade them this time. Their grading system is weird - from their description of it, it's a curve, but they are adamant that it is NOT a curve. They're pretty vague about it, but from what I've gathered. They basically grade everyone's test (scantron) and then if a bunch of people got one answer wrong they go back and look at the question to see if there's a problem with the question (i.e. parts are unclear, assumptions can lead to different answers, etc.) If they find the question to be the problem, they throw it out. Now for the people who got the question wrong, this is great...but for the people who got it right - it sucks, because they may have gotten other questions wrong and this one right and it doesn't even help them. They also do some analysis on questions the first time they are put in rotation (like all the construction questions). THEN (and here's where I believe the thing to be a curve) they pick a number of questions to be answered right to achieve a passing score, assuming that the past percentage of people passing should remain relatively constant and grade based on that number of questions being a 70%. So while there are 80 questions total, and in a straight out situation you would need 56 to pass, you may only need 45 or 47 or 50 depending on their analysis. Anyway, I think it may also mean I have a better shot at passing. Hopefully. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic. It's hard. It's not my forte.

Landon has a cough. It sounds like he's got a little congestion in his chest, but nothing gooey is oozing out of him, so hopefully, my being loaded up on vitamins and Zicam, I can survive without getting sick before the test.

I am taking tomorrow off. I am not studying or cramming tomorrow. I know what I know and I don't know what I don't know.

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much luck to you.

Our kids have the hacking/sneezing/dripping thing going on too. I guess it's that time of year again.

Someone Being Me said...

Good luck!! I hope Landon gets better soon. Bear has been coughing and congested lately too. Love these Texas allergies.

Aunt Becky said...

Good luck. I so hate those damn tests.

You can DO it!

Mama said...

good luck!

Also, thanks for the totally awesome dino set & i-shirt.
(how many comments will you get wondering what the heck that's about?) that I keep forgetting to call and thank you for during the day. I have gotten so many compliments on how great they are already.

Mama said...

wait, does this mean that the civilprep blog is no more? because I was going to add it to my blogroll.

no, wait again. that's not true at all. but I am a nerd and I did read it a couple of times.