Monday, December 03, 2007

Monthly Newsletter #14




Dear Landon,

Today you are 14 months old. We have had quite an exciting month with you. You are in a constant state of learning. You are still not really talking to us. Or rather, you are not speaking English. You are talking all the time. Sometimes it just sounds like a bunch of babble, sometimes it’s to tell us how mad you are. When you can’t get your point across and we stand there shaking our heads, mouths agape, you drive your point home by banging your head on the floor. That’s how frustrated we make you. Why can’t we just understand you already. Bang Bang Bang.

You’ve been eating about the same things ever since we introduced table foods a few months ago. But you have now begun to turn me into a liar again. Just like you did with the sleep thing. So when I said to your grandfather “No, he doesn’t really like bacon, but you can try.” He broke off a piece for you and you gobbled it up like it was covered in chocolate syrup. And when I told your grandmother that you liked sausage, but hadn’t ever actually swallowed any eggs I had given you, you promptly spit out her sausage and gobbled down her eggs. It’s not that I don’t want you to try new things, or that you should never have a change in heart about how you feel about bacon and eggs (trust me, I need you to like bacon), but do you have to do it in such a way that makes me look like a liar?

This is going to be a really fun Christmas. You are truly excited by Christmas decorations. Lights especially. You loved the drive through light display we went to, and every lighted tree we see. You are quite the fan of the large inflatable yard art – even the kinds that move and sing – which is odd, considering your hatred of large stuffed animals that talk. Also, FYI, you should absolutely enjoy those things in other people’s yards or at Lowe’s and Home Depot, because we’re not putting them in our yard.

You are not a fan of Santa. At least not a live Santa. We took you to see Santa in the mall, the same one we saw last year, actually. But you were not in the mood for that guy. We decided, rather than spend $14 on a picture of you crying in Santa’s lap, we’ll just keep trying. I can take you to the mall every Friday between now and Christmas, and on Sundays there’s a Santa in Town Center we can go see. Maybe if you see him enough you’ll be willing to sit on his lap. I guess if you haven’t gotten used to him by the end of the season we’ll settle for a crying picture, but we’re going to try all the same.

This year I actually reached my goal of buying all the Christmas presents prior to December 1. They aren’t all wrapped, and a few haven’t come in yet, but they are all bought and paid for. We do have most of them wrapped and under the tree and if nothing else, that alone has made it possible that you have mastered the command “Put that back!” We’re still working on how you put it back, because throwing it down, even if it’s near it’s original place, isn’t what we actually mean. But you do at least take it back to the tree, so it’s in the vicinity, and hopefully it’s not cracked, I guess we’ll find out when it gets opened.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

Aunt Becky said...

(I followed you, who had followed ME from Baggage!)

My mom always said that kids and pets make liars out of you, and I firmly agree with that. Especially when it comes to things kids "Love" and "Hate" (like food).

Cracks me up.

Hope that you don't mind, but I'm adding you as a link on my blog.