Monday, March 01, 2010

Since you been gone

Last week I accidentally took Landon to one of those theme night things at Chick Fil A. I love Chick Fil A. There was a time when I ate Chick Fil A for breakfast every weekday. (I lost 20 lbs doing that, believe it or not.) And the girl at the drive through recognized my voice and when I changed my orders slightly, she was like “really?” And when she sees me now, she looks for my son in the car.

Not the point.

Anyway, I took Landon to Chick Fil A on Wild West Night on accident. I generally avoid that place like the plague when they have events like that because, well – it’s kind of annoying.

But the guy who was doing the show – who I’m going to call Taylor Hicks, because he looks just enough like Taylor Hicks to be his stunt double – was pretty cool. In fact, when Landon had been waiting for a long time for the gun to shoot the cans off the log, Taylor Hicks made the older boys let Landon take his turn. And he brought in cowboy hats for everyone to wear while they played with his stuff.



*****




Also over the weekend, I tripped and fell in our backyard.

I was trying to get the pool cleaned up and we have those pebble stepping stones as a path leading back to the pool equipment. I slipped off the side of one and went straight down. I hit my knee on another one and my hand on the rocks we have lining the flower beds.

I had on jeans. It didn't even rip the jeans. SO I guess technically - my jeans did this to me.

I laid there for 15 or 20 seconds completely still. And then I realized that I was the only adult there, and if I couldn’t move I was going to have to send Landon to get the phone – which I’m sure he could have done (it was like flashbacks to the time I fell in the shower in college and at first couldn’t move and my roommate had gone home for the weekend and all I could think was that I would have to lay there for 2 days until she came home before anyone would find me – luckily I was able to move after the shock wore off a little and no, my roommate didn’t come home to find me starving and naked in the bathtub.) First I bent each of my knees and they seemed to work, so I figured I would be able to get up one way or another. I slowly began arranging myself to get up – all the while making yelpy pain noises.

Landon was outside with me and he heard my whimpering. He came around the corner and said “Oh mommy! You okay, you be ok.” And he held my elbow and tried to help lift me up. He led me by the hand over to the pool so I could rinse my hands, and he rinsed off the basket I had been carrying. That little guy has a heart of pure gold.

Luckily I spent the rest of the day over at my sister’s house where I was able to put an ice pack on it and just sit around the rest of the day. And on day two it wasn’t even swollen. Now it’s just bruised and ugly purple.

4 comments:

bernthis said...

dude ow! That looks like it hurt A LOT. Your son sounds like he will make a great husband for Phoebe in thirty years.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

There is nothing worse then falling AS AN ADULT....I have, and always feel like such a dummy! What a sweet little guy to help you up!

Anonymous said...

We use Chick-Fil-A for a few of our mall kids club events. Funny but true - the Chick-Fil-A Cow is more popular with kids than Santa. We have seen this two years in a row at our Breakfast w/Santa events.

Nurse that knee! It does not look happy.

The Modernish Father said...

I hate to say it, but it might be time to look into getting a Life Alert Emergency Response bracelet.