Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A post my son is going to be terribly upset about if it's still around when he's a teenager.

One of Landon's testicles swelled up pretty big last week. I noticed it on Wednesday and I thought maybe he sat on it funny - what do I know, I don't have those parts. He said it didn't hurt. So I left him alone.

On Friday he announced, that yeah - it did hurt, but only when touched. So I made an appointment with his pediatrician - luckily they have Saturday hours. I went in thinking it would be another over reaction and something normal.

We were directed straight to Texas Children's Hospital for an ultrasound. With the looming possibilities that included a twisted testicle and emergency surgery, and possible loss of the testicle - or you know, a small regular infection and no biggie. Thanks - really reassuring.

I have to say I was extremely impressed with Texas Children's. On a Saturday afternoon when I arrived, there was one person ahead of me in line to fill out paperwork, and no one in the waiting area. In fact I didn't even have time to get the paperwork filled out before they sent us to triage and then to our little rapid treatment area room.

The ultrasound showed that the testicle appendix (?) was twisted. And it's apparently not a big deal and will resolve itself. After 4 people poked his testicles to make their determinations, and poked them to the point of him being almost in tears (and this almost is pretty big for him - he has a super high tolerance for pain.) I mean, isn't this the happiest little sick kid you've ever seen? And aside from the 2 minutes he was on this stretcher and the time we spent in the ultrasound, he actually didn't sit still very much at all.

I promised ice cream on the way home. He wanted chocolate chip ice cream, with M&M's on top.

He fell asleep on the way home, so I nudged him a little when I got to the intersection and asked him if he still wanted ice cream. And he said "Chocit chi-ups, wif M-n-M spinkles."


We had a follow up yesterday afternoon - still swollen, not as much though and we're supposedly on the downhill side of this whole debacle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ice Cream makes everything better. And M&M's are Gods little pain meds. Best of luck with a speedy recovery!

The Modernish Father said...

As the resident male commenter, let me say I'm glad to hear that Landon will make a full recovery.

bernthis said...

well, I don't think he would have sat on them as I believe he won't have that "joy" until he is way older.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

awe, poor little guy... so glad that is all it was!