Friday, February 13, 2009

The Secret to Getting Good Customer Service

There's a certain phone company around these parts, they now handle our TV, Internet*, home phone, and wireless accounts. We like having all our eggs in one basket.

I have consistently had pretty poor customer service out of them when calling with any issues, and even in their store fronts, those people seem to be whacked with a stupid stick when they clock in**. I have stuck with them because I don't have to call them much, because mostly stuff works.

But I discovered through 4 customer service calls this morning, and the remembering of the final customer service call for the TV package we got. There is definitely a secret to getting good service.

I'm going to share it with you, in case you have to call BS&S***.

And please don't throw rocks at me, because I know how bad it sounds. But I also know how true it has been for me, and I will now and forever believe it.

It's this simple:

Ask to speak with a guy.

Their male customer service representatives have consistently done what their female employees said they were going to do, but didn't.

* - Why does spell check want "Internet" to be capitalized? Is "Internet" really a proper noun?

** - Actually there was one guy**** who knew what he was doing in a storefront in LJ. When we went there, I would rather have waited 30 minutes for him than get served by someone else. And he quit. And I will hate him forever for that.

*** - Pseudonym.

**** - See? GUY!

2 comments:

bernthis said...

AT&T it has to be. Those people make me want to pull my freakin hair out!!!! I am now hoping to switch to Verizon for my DSL b/c I just can't take it anymore.

Anonymous said...

As someone who spends a good deal of time writing instructions for online resources, the capitalization of "Internet" and "Web" angers me on a daily basis.

I've found that if you're spending money at the moment, AT&T has great customer service. They shipped my new phone out to me just hours after I had ordered it online.

But once the guys at the local store figure out you're there for a service issue and you won't be buying a new phone or service plan today, well, they're pretty much useless.

We only use them for our phone service though. I can't make any comment about their internet* or cable offerings.

*-Not capitalized